I finally had the opportunity to dust off the 4g63 engine block in the corner of the shop sitting in the rubbermaid container waiting for the day it would be cleaned up, bored 0.020 over and have the stroker 100mm crank installed to build a stroker 2.3L with a couple more goodies for the talon. That day came sooner than later with the offer for free machining (got to love the battering services!).
The block I start off with had unknown history and was a block that was given to me from a friend who got it from another guy kind of deal. So first step was to ensure we were starting with a good core before spending all the time machining and prepping the block. The block was magnafluxed for cracks and fractures and when that came back good off it went for block prep!
Here is everything that was completed on the block
- block was ultrasonic cleaned
- old frost plugged punched out
- cylinders bored 0.020″ over for new pistons
- PTW clearance was checked, double checked and then checked again
- head surface was decked flat and a quality surface finish for a MLS gasket was achieve