Category Archives: talon

Building the 4g63, Part Two

Since this is my first engine I’m building things are going slow because I’m taking more time, double checking, researching, asking questions, etc. It also goes slow because its done in my spare time after work and Brightside responsibilities are accounted for. We got it on the machine and Rob worked his magic on the CNC and the  boring of all 4 cylinders went without issue. Also in the same setup we were able to deck the head. Now we can say the cylinders are perpendicular to the cylinder bores within 0.0005. Meets my standards!

 

Cylinder Boring

 

Once Rob had that completed we moved onto one of the improvements that him and i devised would help with location of the main caps. We would dowel all the main cap bolts and clearance the block locaters so all the dowels can do there job without interference.


IMG-20120204-00033

The advantage of this was to positively locate the main caps in position every time without any binding occurring while torquing down the caps. Hardened downs were purchased from mcmaster-carr and we were set! This day was very productive and everything went smoothly. Some search for tools around the city but otherwise i’m very happy with the outcome so far. More machining to go, i’ll write part 3 shortly.

 

Building the 4g63, Part One

I finally had the opportunity to dust off the 4g63 engine block in the corner of the shop sitting in the rubbermaid container waiting for the day it would be cleaned up, bored 0.020 over and have the stroker 100mm crank installed to build a stroker 2.3L with a couple more goodies for the talon. That day came sooner than later with the offer for free machining (got to love the battering services!).

The block I start off with had unknown history and was a block that was given to me from a friend who got it from another guy kind of deal. So first step was to ensure we were starting with a good core before spending all the time machining and prepping the block. The block was magnafluxed for cracks and fractures and when that came back good off it went for block prep!

Here is everything that was completed on the block

  • block was ultrasonic cleaned
  • old frost plugged punched out
  • cylinders bored 0.020″ over for new pistons
  • PTW clearance was checked, double checked and then checked again
  • head surface was decked flat and a quality surface finish for a MLS gasket was achieve
And then the headache began….mainly because i like to complicate things and be slightly different and use different parts. i’ll describe that in the next post and hopefully have some pictures also for you guys.