So my stroker motor sits unassembled. Why? Because of time and not having the correct parts when i did have the time….wrong crank, doh!
It actually now takes the back burner as its not the motor thats going into the Eclipse for the 2014 season. The motor that going into it was machined at the same time and plenty of the same machining procedures were used including the doweled main cap bolts. The care and precision that went into machining these blocks was impeccable. Everything measures within tenths of thou of where its supposed to be. Really happy seeing this. A good engine is all about the “specs” it built to and this was was build with great attention to detail and blueprinted to “spec”.
The short block build consists of the following:
- split thrust block
- 9:1 Weisco Pistons
- 150mm Standard Eagle rods
- ACL Rod and Main Bearing
- Balance shaft eliminated
- ARP Head and Rod bolts
- OEM Crank polished and balanced
- doweled main caps
- blocked oil squirters
It’s a very “typical” 4g63 and it should provide all the power and durability we need.
The next component to sort out was the springs and shocks. For this we went the tried and true suspension developed by a local Canadian that campaigned a 2g DSM in autocross at the national level in the US during the early 2000s. The big change here is two things. One switching to a height adjustable coilover setup so we can set our desired ride height and second is the spring is isolated onto a spherical hat to keep the spring square through the suspension travel. Mitsubishi did this with a big squishy rubber mount but it belongs no where on a track car….
All these custom machined bits were machined by us and sent out to be hard anodized as per DG spec drawings. What an awesome guy for making the drawing available to us on his website. http://farnorthracing.com/autocross/konis.html
I went with quality Aurora bearings as this isn’t a place to cheap out!
The aluminum is black in colour because they have been hard anodized for a tough wear surface. Yes even better than powder coating! Powder coating is a durable finish but nit a tough coating that can take loads like this coating can. Sorry this isn’t something Brightside can offer.
Add in all the purchased Koni bit which Dennis describes very thoroughly and assemble! Spring rates are up for debate but in the pics it shows #600 in the front and #350 in the back. The front is liekly goingto be changed to #800 or #900 after some more research and the car becoming more “race car” like.
Shiny new and all assembled. More work than anything off the shelf but there known to perform and that exactly what were after. Something that WORKS!
One more piece attached to the forked and the lower arm with the spherical joints I described in the last post. Also i should mention that since these are only considered 2-way adjustable that keeps us within the rules of CSCS street class where 3-ways are not allowed.
Thought I’d go through the basics on what we chose to use in the complete overhaul of the suspension. To give an idea of the extent we went through. EVERY part was removed, blasted, and coated. While we were there it got all new bushings from both energy suspension (www.energysuspension.com) and Prothane bushings (www.prothane.com).
(NOTE: We didn’t even end up using these uppers as we were able to source SPC aftermarket
One of the NICEST arms on the car is this ones which got loaded with spherical bearings inboard and for the bottom shock mount. NO more slop here!! This makes me excited!
And on it went with reconditioning all the arms with new pressed in urethane bushings. This is a TON of work but will play huge dividends in feedback on the track and making this 17year old car drive as tight and MORE precise than new. i’ll continue showing the shocks and the other bits in another post. A lot happened with suspension in trying to get this DSM to turn.
You’ve seen the pics in the gallery but never really got into posting about the build well here it begins and i’ll try to play some catch up along with some jumping around showing the mods and reason why we chose to do them. And of course all the powder coated, ceramic coated bits that happened along the way!
The Eclipse has come along way and its nearly time to turn it over and hear the new motor run. Now that day is going to be nerve racking! Before I do that i’ve tried to eliminate some variables so i’ve gone ahead and sent the ECU to ecmlink to get a good bill of heath, fresh caps and a once over on the socket so that the ECU is reliable for the 2014 season.
Next I went ahead and switched up the OEM carbon hood with an AMB designed vented hood because of have overheating fears on the track for the 20min test sessions. DSMs run hot in there fairly crammed engine bay so i think this is a good move.
Final piece of carbon:) Is a sunroof plug in the name of weight savings. I’m weight conscious and this should do a good job of getting weight out from up high on the car!
I have to thank Ziggy from www.rtmracing.com for handling the shipping and the handling to see that these pieces reach me safely!